Sometimes it can seem impossible to find the proper amount of time to work out and get quality exercise done. In my experience, finding those precious moments means thinking outside the box, and coming up with unique ways to fit in the fitness. Below I will outline a few quality Isometric exercises that are easy to do while sitting in traffic, waiting at those long lights, or in your car in general.
- Isometric Steering Wheel Push – Start by placing your hands on the steering wheel, 9 and 3 is the best position. Start by placing your hands in position and pushing against the steering wheel. As you push, hold the contractions in your chest and shoulders for at least 30 seconds. You can do as many sets of these as you feel comfortable doing.
- The Sitting Plank – Start by sitting up straight and tall, pull your stomach muscles in, as if you were pulling your belly button inwards toward your spine. Once you’ve reached as far inward as you can, tighten those ab muscles and try to hold the position for as long as possible. This one is great to repeat, but when you start to feel real muscle fatigue, stop for the day.
- Isometric Sitting Quads – Place your legs firmly against the floor, not the gas or break pedals, try to lift your leg by only flexing your quad muscles. Think of it like you’re using an invisible leg extension machine except you are keeping your leg in place at the same time. Flex the quad, and hold for 15 seconds. Repeat in sets of 5.
- Not So “PC” Workout – OK, this one is a little embarrassing to talk about, but trust me, it’s beneficial in so many ways. The pubococcygeus muscle is one that goes from the pubic bone to the tail bone. It basically makes up your pelvic floor and supports the pelvic organs. Start by squeezing the PC muscles. This is done much in the same way as when you’re trying to stop, or hold in, urine. My research has shown that the first few attempts at this exercise should take place in the bathroom, but once you get the hang of the motion you can do it sitting anywhere. The benefits of a stronger PC muscle include increased strength when holding your bladder, increase orgasm strength, and in men, increase strength in erections.
Don’t take my word for it. Try some of these exercises the next time your stuck in traffic, or on an extended car ride. You can burn calories, strengthen muscles, and get that much-needed work out in at any time of the day.
- Frittata Pizza
- Isometric Exercises – What Are They?