In the US, every year, 800,000 nationals expire due to heart diseases. Thus it is the leading cause of death in the States but it is not limited to this continent only. The American heart Association collected data about heart diseases from over 190 different countries and in conclusion, it was said that heart diseases tops the list of death causers worldwide.
The scariest thing about heart diseases is the sudden death. One minute your loved one is talking and laughing with you and you just couldn’t ask for anything more and the next moment the person perishes within your sight.
As you grow older the chances of a heart attack significantly increase due to the fragility of the body and the weakness of the body’s immunity system. There are various ways however, to help the people aged over 60 to take care of their heart health. The main actions in this regard are related to changes in lifestyle and diet.
Many researches over the years, have proven that a healthy lifestyle drastically reduce the risk of heart diseases. People often ignore the beneficial impact of a healthy lifestyle on their health and it causes serious issues in their health after they become older.
So what are the natural ways to combat this risk?
- Increase the daily physical activity as you reach your 60s. Make a habit of daily exercise for 30 minutes for 5 days a week. It will play an important part in improving the health of your heart and steering it away from the path of risk. You can also walk daily if you are not a fan of exercise. The main idea is to keep moving so your body doesn’t become use to idleness. According to AHA, this daily exercise routine will reduce the heart disease risks significantly. Some people find meditation and yoga helpful too for relaxing the mind and body and de-stressing themselves.
- You should also work on your weight and if you think you have put on a lot of weight, take it seriously. Cut down on oily and fatty foods as they can increase the chances of cholesterol and thus heart attack. The waist should be healthy, around 40 inches for men and less than 35 inches for women.
- Revert back to the old age diet plan and increase the intake of foods that are high in minerals and beneficial elements for the body. Reduce your salt and sugar intake. Plaque is formed by the bad cholesterol that is formed by fat deposits. It makes the arteries less flexible and can clog them. it is definitely dangerous for the heart.
- Alcohol should be strictly avoided as you grow older. Okay, maybe two drinks a day would suffice the requirement but not more than that.
- Smoking can cause serious trouble to your heart and can make your breathing difficult. Be easy on your body and do not stress it as you reach the 60s.
Hi, I am Joseph Shane; I am a 60+ freelance writer. Writing is an addiction, something that I simply cannot do without. In all honesty, writing is more a source of pleasure to me than income. And being the perfectionist that I am, I deal with a constant impulse of producing better pieces every day, I’m in a race with myself spewing my thoughts in words and making it look like an art. Thank you!