Last Updated on 23 April 2022 by Ray Plumlee
You probably heard of its existence but never really got eager enough to look it up. Well, the sandwich gods are smiling upon you and they used me as an instrument to spread the word… and the peanut butter. Okay, before we go crazy and get too random, let’s first talk about the history of this sandwich.
Elvis Sandwich? THE Elvis?
Yes! The King of Rock and Roll himself – Elvis Presley! The Elvis Sandwich, which is often simply called “The Elvis”, is a fried sandwich with: butter, banana and peanut butter. This holy trinity of ingredients is reportedly one of Elvis’s favorite food.
Let’s time travel back to the decade of afros, bellbottoms, Beatlemania and Audrey Hepburn – the good old 60s: the time when Elvis is with his first public girlfriend Anita Wood.
When Anita was interviewed about her relationship with Elvis, she said: “He called me Little because I was very small at the time, tiny. ‘Little girl, go fix me a sandwich, peanut butter and jelly sandwich.’ Now, you know, back when I fixed a sandwich for him, we mixed up the peanut butter and banana together. We didn’t put it [the sandwich] in butter and put it in a skillet. We just put [the mixture] on white bread. But…the other day, this man was fixing a peanut butter and jelly sandwich that Elvis liked and they sliced the bananas in thick slices and put it in this butter and cooked it…so he [Elvis] may have started liking that later. But when I was dating him [1957-1962], he liked just a plain old-fashioned mashed banana [sandwich].”
Thus, a very delicious sandwich was born! Now let’s get right to it before my mood ring changes color to “hungry”. Let’s start with the original recipe as described by Elvis’s personal cook and please note that it wasn’t called “The Elvis Sandwich” yet, it was simply referred to as “peanut butter and banana sandwich” during that time.
The Original Elvis Sandwich Recipe
- 2 slices of Bread
- Peanut Butter
- Toast two slices of white bread in a toaster.
- Spread the peanut butter on one slice of the bread.
- Slice the bananas on top of the peanut butter.
- Cover with the other piece of toast.
- Fry the sandwich in a hot skillet with melted butter.
Over the years the Elvis Sandwich evolved and another ingredient was added to the list – bacon. Because who doesn’t love bacon?
The Elvis Sandwich Recipe with Bacon
Serves 2 (coz you know, 1 might not be enough)
- 2 tbsp softened butter
- 4 slices of bread (any soft bread will do)
- ¼ cup peanut butter (you can use smooth or chunky)
- 1 large ripe banana (sliced or if you prefer mashed, that’s okay)
- 1/8 cup honey
- 6 slices of bacon, sautéed into crisps
- Spread the softened butter on 1 side of each sliced bread and on the other side of the 2 slices of bread, spread peanut butter. To be clear, we have 4 slices of bread right? Spread butter on one side of all 4 slices then on 2 slices, spread peanut butter.
- Place the banana slices on top of peanut butter.
- Drizzle honey over the slices of bananas.
- Place bacon slices on top of the bananas. You can go as many or as few as you want.
- Cover with the other slice, butter-side-out.
- Preheat your grill pan or griddle and cook your sandwiches until both sides are crispy and golden brown in color.
Omit one slice and make it an open-face sandwich and you might wanna go easy on the bananas. The goal here is to reduce the carbohydrates and by doing so, you are well on your way to the ideal Ketogenic diet. Also there are certain brands of low carb peanut butter so go for those. Bacon and butter have saturated fats and we want that in Ketogenic eating.
Elvis may have left the building but his sandwich legacy is definitely here to stay. So, would you try this sandwich? If you are going to tweak it, how would your version look like? Share your thought on the comments section!
Hello everyone, Chase here! I am a health and fitness enthusiast, and also a food blogger. You see, my life is a constant battle between my love of food and not wanting to get fat, so far I'm winning! 🙂