Last Updated on 17 September 2021 by Ray Plumlee
Many men over 60 do not realize the importance HGH, or Human Growth Hormone, plays in their natural ability to restore and repair itself during times of rest. Human Growth Hormone is a naturally occurring hormone found in the human body. HGH is secreted from the pituitary gland at night, during slow wave sleep, and has many amazing health benefits.
The secretion of HGH lowers rapidly with age. As a matter of fact, HGH has been shown to decrease from 20% (for men 25 years or younger) to only 5% for men over the age of 35. Even more unsettling, research shows that men over 50 years of age experienced a secretion decrease of over 75%.
Lack of proper sleep causes a dramatic reduction in Human Growth Hormone, which seriously impacts the health of men over 60, who sometimes begin to lose the ability to fall back into a deep sleep after being awakened at night. Over 100 million Americans suffer from some kind of sleep difficulty, and almost half of them have a “sleep disorder” which causes them to be walking around deprived of sleep on a daily basis. This lack of sleep causes a chain reaction that lowers the levels of HGH in the human body, and opens men up to a number of complications.
What Happens When the Body is Deprived of HGH?
Growth hormone is typically released during REM sleep. During each cycle of REM sleep, bursts of HGH are released into the body, which uses the hormone to aid in cell reproduction, fat loss, and the ability to restore energy needed for the day. A lack of HGH in the body can cause a multitude of other issues as well, such as: fat gain, difficulty building muscle mass, sleep apnea, loss of bone density, osteoporosis, dry or sagging skin, and even depression and anxiety!
How to Naturally Increase HGH Levels
There are a few sleep tips that may help increase the level of human growth hormone in the body. So before you slide into your fresh and clean bed sheets, and lay your head down on a soft and comfortable memory foam pillow, try a few of these HGH sleep suggestions.
- Deep sleep increases HGH levels. Sleeping in a cool dark place will increase your chances of deep sleep.
- Increase your cardio! When it comes to cardio, variety is key. Use a combination of walking, jogging, and running, in order to naturally boost your HGH levels over a 24 hour period. Make the workout intense!
- Reduce stress and laugh more! Studies have shown that lowering stress levels, and increasing beta-endorphins (by laughing and having a good time), can increase HGH levels significantly.
- Do not eat 2-4 hours before going to sleep for the night. Eating raises insulin levels, and when insulin levels are high HGH production is low.
- Lose weight by eating healthy and exercising regularly. Dropping those extra pounds can help with insulin sensitivity and lower the amount of insulin in your body while increasing the HGH levels.
Bottom line, once you understand the role sleep plays in your production of HGH the easier it will be to take the proper steps to increase your hormone levels, energy levels, and overall health.